Botulinum toxin injection for leg slimming
Excessive development of the calf muscles can lead to a mismatch with one’s desired body image, potentially impacting both mental well-being and aesthetics.
Botulinum toxin injection for leg slimming treatment targets specific areas of the calf muscles. This temporarily relaxes and loosens the muscles, gradually reducing their size over time.
As a result, the legs become slimmer, creating a more refined contour.
- Individuals with excessive muscle development and noticeable tightness in the legs.
- Individuals who want to slim down their calves.
- Those aiming to reduce strain on the Achilles tendon.
Flow of treatment
The actual treatment process is as follows. For more information on the formulation and needles used, see the Botulinum toxin treatment page.
The prominence of the calf muscles is primarily due to the gastrocnemius muscle. During the examination, we’ll have you move your leg to assess the areas of enlargement.
After identifying the appropriate injection sites and depths, and ensuring balance between both sides, we will administer Coretox (Botulinum Toxin) to 3-10 points on one leg.
All information regarding injection sites, depth, and units will be recorded in your medical records along with photos. This ensures that you can undergo the treatment with confidence for subsequent sessions.
You may experience a dull ache for a few days as the muscles have been injected with a needle. You might also notice some temporary weakness or difficulty in exerting force, but this should improve quickly.
Around one month later, you’ll likely perceive a reduction in the size of your calf muscles. Typically, we recommend three injections every 3-6 months. Since leg muscles are used daily, the muscle mass will gradually return, so feel free to schedule injections whenever you feel the need for leg slimming.
Side effects and precautions
For information on side effects and post-treatment precautions, see Potential side effects of botulinum toxin injections.
Price for leg slimming treatment with botulinum toxin injection
At our clinic, we use “Coretox” as a botulinum toxin preparation.
|Item||Fee (tax included)|
|First visit ¥3,850|
|Leg slimming 100-unit|
Leg slimming 200-unit
Leg slimming 300-unit
- Each injection requires a consultation every time. Please be aware that a separate consultation fee will apply.
Frequently Asked Questions About Botulinum Toxin Injections for Leg Slimming
- Does the treatment hurt?
You may feel a dull pain during the injection. For those sensitive to pain, we can apply an ice pack to cool the area before administering the injection.
- How many units do you recommend for injection?
We recommend 200 units (100 units per leg).
For individuals with less calf muscle mass, 100 units is recommended, while those with more muscle mass may consider 300 units.
- When will I start seeing results?
About one month after the treatment, you will notice that the muscles have reduced, resulting in slimmer legs. However, since one injection may not provide sufficient results, we recommend receiving three injections every 3 to 6 months for optimal effect.
- Is there a risk of becoming unable to walk?
The injection of Botulinum toxin in the calf muscles does not lead to such a severe weakening of the muscles that would render walking impossible.
Temporary symptoms such as difficulty exerting force in the legs, unsteadiness, fatigue, and occasional leg stiffness may occur, but these gradually improve. However, excessive reduction of muscles through repeated injections may increase the risk of falls and lead to a decline in physical performance.
- How long does the effect last?
The duration of the effect varies, but since leg muscles are used daily, it’s common for the strength to gradually return within about 6 months to a year. It’s not uncommon for the effect to last even longer than a year.
List of references/websites
- Allergan, “BOTOX onabotulinumtoxinA injection” アクセス 2020.10.23
- アラガン・ジャパン, “医療用医薬品：ボトックスビスタ” 添付文書情報2020年8月改訂
- Medytox, “Coretox“ http://www.medytox.com/page/coretox アクセス 2020.11.21
- Hema Sundaram et al., “Aesthetic Applications of Botulinum Toxin A in Asians: An International, Multidisciplinary, Pan-Asian Consensus” Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2016 Dec 7;4(12):e872. doi: 10.1097/GOX.0000000000000507. eCollection 2016 Dec.
- Wenjun Shi et al., “Classification of Hypertrophic Gastrocnemius Muscle and Its Treatment with Botulinum Toxin A” Aesth Plast Surg (2019) 43:1588–1594 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00266-019-01455-w
Botulinum toxin treatmentGuide to the treatment by botulinum toxin
Wrinkles / Botulinum ToxinBotulinum toxin injection for Wrinkles.
Jawline Slimming / Botulinum ToxinBotulinum toxin injection for jawline
Lip Flip / Botulinum ToxinLip lift with botulinum toxin
Excessive Sweating / Botulinum ToxinBotulinum toxin injection for excessive sweating
Stiff Shoulders / Botulinum Toxin【Botulinum toxin injection for stiff shoulders】 Around the neck and shoulde…
Hay Fever / Botulinum ToxinBotulinum toxin nasal drops for hay fever